How to deal with a 2nd OpenPGP Summit?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Sep 21 11:30:49 CEST 2015

I've attended all manner of conferences/meetings from big to small,
invite-only to open doors, expensive to free, heavily organized to improvised.
 I think far and away the most productive conferences for groups of 20+ people
are Unconference/Barcamp/"Gunner-style" conferences, which are totally open,
have no fixed agenda, and have 1-4 moderators to run the intro sections of the
day where the day's agenda is created.  These kinds of events have also been
the most fun conferences/meetings that I've attended.

What such an event does require is that people as a group have enough social
skills to know when it is appropriate to talk, and also to know when it is
appropriate to ask someone to stop talking until another time/place.  Good
moderators help a lot with that task.  Then we can have focused, productive
meetings without having to manage who can attend.  It also takes much less
pre-planning to run such an event, since the organizers do not need to work
out topics, schedules, etc.  Just space and overall timing (i.e. 5 rooms from
9am-6pm).

I am willing to serve as a moderator, though I can't say I'm the best at it.
I've helped organized and run DrupalCamp, MySQLCamp, iPhoneDevCamp, PdCon, and
more.

If there is a budget for this event, then Allen Gunn/Aspiration Tech could be
hired to run the event.  He's an excellent moderator, especially for groups of
people that are unfamiliar with this format.

.hc

Bob (Robert) Cavanaugh:

https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x9F0FE587374BBE81