GnuPG User ID expiry

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Sep 30 05:37:01 CEST 2015

Hi Jens--

On Fri 2015-09-25 00:49:48 -0700, Jens Lechtenboerger wrote:

> I tried to generate test keys with expired user IDs (under faked
> system time), but I failed, with gpg 1.4 as well as 2.1.8.  I tried
> to use the options default-sig-expire and default-cert-expire as
> well as ask-sig-expire and ask-cert-expire when adding user IDs via
> --edit-key.
>
> However, gpg --list-options show-sig-expire --list-sigs
> indicates that the signatures expire “never”.

with 2.1.8, i get an expiration prompt for the user ID if i use:

  gpg2 --full-gen-key

However, i agree with you that it seems like the following command ought
to generate an expired key:

 gpg2 --faked-system-time 20100101T000000 --default-cert-expire 1y --quick-gen-key 'Test Key <test at example.org>'

But in my tests, it does not.  This seems like a bug in the
implementation of --default-cert-expire.  Maybe someone™ should file it
at https://bugs.gnupg.org/ :)

> How can I generate/add user IDs with expiration dates or change the
> expiration date of user IDs?

You can do this with "gpg --edit-key $KEYID"

In the subprompt GnuPG provides, use "1" (or "2", etc) to select which
user ID you want.  then use "expire" to change the expiration for that
user ID.

hth,

       --dkg