How to get your first key signed

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 22:46:10 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 30 September 2015 15:58:51 Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > I create for myself a gpg key and want to get it signed
>
> More important than whether your certificate gets signed is who signs
> the certificate, who they are connected to, and so on.
>
> Some people will sign almost anything.  People who get a reputation
> for signing anything develop a reputation for their signatures being
> meaningless.  Some people have very strong requirements before
> they'll sign.  Their signatures are often worth quite a lot of
> credibility, but good luck getting them.
>
> The good news is this *can be done*.  I promise.
>
> The best thing you can do right now is to get involved in the
> community. Get engaged in the mailing lists (here, PGP-Basics,
> Enigmail-Users are three good ones).  And when you post, sign your
> messages.  Over time people will come to trust that your signature
> connects to the real you, even if they can't promise that your name
> really is David Niklas, or can't say what you look like.

Additionally to what Robert wrote you should upload your key
(0x9B75C2AE183660FF) to the keyservers. Otherwise, nobody can check your
signatures. I tried to download it, but failed:

# gpg --recv-keys 0x9B75C2AE183660FF
gpg: requesting key 183660FF from hkp server pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpgkeys: key 9B75C2AE183660FF not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

Regards,
Ingo