Using a passphrase FD from variable and piped data for encryption

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 09:10:27 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>
wrote:

> > I thought you could point out what is wrong with it, hopefully
> > something that can be fixed. But that's OK.
>
> You're asking people to sign on for a literally never-ending process.
> (Peer review never ends, after all.  Ask the OpenBSD guys.)  There's
> nothing wrong with that.  You should always feel free to ask other
> people to help.  But in order to get the best-qualified people on board,
> your project should offer something new: a new capability, a new
> security guarantee, a new resistance to attacks, a new *something*.
> Because without some new improvement, what motivation is there for
> anyone to switch?
>
> It's good to scratch your own itch.  If you want to use this tool you've
> built, more power to you.  But other people probably won't unless you
> can give them specific reasons to care.

You are right. I don't think that it can satisfy the requirements of
everybody
because they are sometimes conflicting. But I use it because it is simpler
and easier, comand-line based, and scriptable. And I also believe that it is
not less secure than the other solutions.

Anyway, myself I don't have high security requirements, and, except for
trying to use good practices, I am not a security expert. So, I cannot
guaranty for everybody.

Dashamir