making a Debian Live CD for managing GnuPG master key and smartcards

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Apr 26 15:11:29 CEST 2016

> Wait, wait, wait... I sincerely hope you're not suggesting that the
> first thing Daniel Pocock and others need to do is build a .deb package
> for your project, that instead you meant this to read as "the first
> thing /I/ should do is build a .deb package for egpg", so that they can
> play with your code. I wouldn't even agree with the latter; but the
> former is just... I hope you can pick your own adjective.

I'd like to make it clear that I'm not talking about Dashamir here.
What I'm saying here applies more broadly to libre software in general.

The libre community is a reputation culture.  People keep track of how
much others give (and how valuable it is) and use that to determine how
much to give back (and how valuable it'll be).  Well-managed projects
(GitHub pages, build environments, bug trackers, etc.) enjoy more
reputation than poorly-managed projects, and benevolent dictators for
life enjoy more reputation than tyrannical martinets.

When asking other people to do things for you, it pays to keep in mind
how valuable the community has deemed your contributions.  If you
haven't earned much reputation, you might want to do that before you go
about asking people to do things for you.

Just my two cents' worth.  :)