Req: 64-bit GnuPG/GPGME for Windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Apr 27 11:45:06 CEST 2016

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:31, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:
> How difficult would it be to get a 64-bit GnuPG and GPGME binary package
> built for Windows?  The existing one appears to be 32-bit only, and my
> development environment is 64-bit only.

I can't see a real reason for not using the 32 bit GnuPG version, thus
working on a 64 bit version has a low priority.

The pending task for GnuPG is to consolidate the OS objects used to
access files, pipes, and sockets.  In the 32 bit version our hacks to
detect the type of the objects work reasonable well, but they won't work
with 64 bit because sizeof(int) < sizeof(void*).  We make extensive use
of converting pointers (Windows' "HANDLE") to "int" and vice versa -
this can't work on 64-bit.  There are some other problems as well.

The planned solution is to use a new kind of object to wrap all those
different OS objects.  The use of the estream interface (e.g. es_printf)
from libgpg-error is a first step in this direction and will eventually
be extended to provide such a wrapper interface.

For GPGME there is clearly a need for 64 bit compatibility.  It is
already possible to build GPGME for 64 bit but certain features do not
yet work; using OpenPGP (gpg) should work.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner