gpg and smartcard on ubuntu 16.04

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Apr 30 15:45:45 CEST 2016

On 30/04/16 15:26, guido wrote:
> Yes, In 2.1 you are not supposed to start the gpg-agent on login, it
> starts automatically on demand. If you start it like in <2.0 you will
> not be able to connect to it.

Purely out of interest, what is it that goes wrong? Is it that the
correct command-line arguments are missing? If it is autostarted by
gpg-connect-agent, it has the form

gpg-agent --homedir /home/peter/.gnupg --use-standard-socket --daemon

which is not what is in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gnupg-agent.

> But ssh needs that

I know, which is why I added the gpg-connect-agent call in my version of
the script.

>> Perhaps you could just add the gpg-connect-agent call to the
>> if-ssh-support conditional, and it would be purrfect. I will try
>> that now and see if everything stays peachy.
>
> At least in debian's default version, that is already in
> /etc/X11/XSession.d/90gpg-agent. But i kind of think that's
> responsability of the package mantainer and not gnupg upstream.

I don't understand what you mean. I just checked on the latest unstable
version of gnupg-agent, and that version starts the agent explicitly,
with the argument "--daemon". This is the variant that caused issues for
me. I start the agent by "gpg-connect-agent /bye". For reference, I
attach the script as it is by default in Debian.

Cheers,

Peter.