Which GPG version?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Aug 1 21:12:21 CEST 2016

On 01/08/16 19:53, Johan Wevers wrote:
> It does not. If you want to be able to read pgp 2.x encoded archives you'd
> better go for 1.4.

Incidentally, for this use case I'd personally recommend to use 2.1 for
everything except accessing those ancient archives, and just use 1.4 for that,
if that is something that works for you.

> I think the interface of 2.0 is more stable so if you use scripting, a 2.1
> update might break it.

I'm sure you know, but the OP might not: in this case, you're scripting in a way
not approved by the GnuPG devs, i.e., using interfaces meant for humans instead
of machines.

2.1 even has some functions that 2.0 does not with regard to easy scripting
(--quick-add-[stuff] and friends). I don't know whether there is stuff that 2.0
can do that 2.1 can't at the moment, though (which is different from stability,
it's feature completeness).

HTH,

Peter.