Standard gnupg folder created despite --homedir parameter

Carola Grunwald caro at nymph.paranoici.org
Sun Aug 7 16:35:41 CEST 2016

Hello!

Migrating a Windows encryption tool from 1.4.20 I need help with GnuPG
2.1.14.

Though using the --homedir parameter, with certain gpg commands a gnupg
folder is created in %APPDATA% (C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming). Is
there a reason for having that folder or is it just a bug?  Any chance
to avoid that?

I'm addressing this rather unimportant 'feature' 'cause I'm maintaining
a portable application and don't want the host system to be altered in
any way.

| gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.14
| libgcrypt 1.7.2
| Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
| This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
| There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
|
| Home: F:/PortableApps/MyProject/gpg
| Supported algorithms:
| Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA, EDDSA
| Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
|         CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
| Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

| Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
| Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
|
| f:\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg>gpgconf --homedir F:\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg --list-dirs
| sysconfdir:C%3a\ProgramData\GNU\etc\gnupg
| bindir:f%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg
| libexecdir:f%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg
| libdir:f%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg\lib\gnupg
| datadir:f%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg\share\gnupg
| localedir:f%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg\share\locale
| dirmngr-socket:F%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg\S.dirmngr
| dirmngr-sys-socket:C%3a\Windows\S.dirmngr
| agent-ssh-socket:F%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg\S.gpg-agent.ssh
| agent-socket:F%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg\S.gpg-agent
| homedir:F%3a\PortableApps\MyProject\gpg

TIA

Caro