gpg.conf recommendations (FAQ improvement) was: GnuPG 1.4.19 - Encryption Questions

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Aug 16 15:48:25 CEST 2016

[puts on official FAQ maintainer hat]

> Just noticed that the FAQ (and documentation) could be improved
> to recommend some gpg.conf options:

I'm weakly against this.  If we want to recommend people put something
in gpg.conf, what we should be doing is changing the default behavior to
be that, rather than expecting people to set an option.

I agree that long keyids are preferable for the future, but I think the
proper fix here is to make them the default behavior.

As always, though, if the list consensus is to do it in gpg.conf, I'll
amend the FAQ to recommend such.  Does anyone have any strong opinions
on the matter?