gpg.conf recommendations (FAQ improvement) was: GnuPG 1.4.19 - Encryption Questions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 16 16:05:17 CEST 2016

Am Dienstag, 16. August 2016 15:48:25 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
> [puts on official FAQ maintainer hat]
>
> > Just noticed that the FAQ (and documentation) could be improved
> > to recommend some gpg.conf options:
>
> I'm weakly against this.  If we want to recommend people put something
> in gpg.conf, what we should be doing is changing the default behavior to
> be that, rather than expecting people to set an option.
>
> I agree that long keyids are preferable for the future, but I think the
> proper fix here is to make them the default behavior.
>
> As always, though, if the list consensus is to do it in gpg.conf, I'll
> amend the FAQ to recommend such.  Does anyone have any strong opinions
> on the matter?

I've got the impression from Werner that this is the current state of affairs:
Recommend keyid-format long, but do not make it a default. (*)

I am all for making it a default with GnuPG 2.1 at least, because people
should profit from using a stable API like GPGME. But unless it is the
default in most installations out there, I'd welcome having it in the FAQ.

(*) There probably was previous discussion about this which I could not easily
find. Please point me to it by pm or take the subject to gnupg-devel.
Best,
Bernhard

--
www.intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3