gpg.conf recommendations (FAQ improvement) was: GnuPG 1.4.19 - Encryption Questions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 17 16:24:45 CEST 2016

Am Dienstag, 16. August 2016 16:57:07 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
> > Ah thanks, this was introduced with 2.1.13 and I tested the
> > behaviour on an earlier 2.1 version where it make a difference.
> > So it is a recommendation for GnuPG v <=2.0.
>
> Concur.  I'll make the change shortly.

Thanks.
To meanwhile spread the word, I have temporarily added  the following news to
the wiki.gnupg.org

== News
* 2016-08-16: Somebody uploaded the [[https://evil32.org|evil32]] pubkeys to
keyservers. It is time to remind people to set
the default {{{keyid-format long}}} in their {{{gpg.conf}}} to use 64bit
keyids. This is for GnuPG v<=2.0.x as 2.2 will have an even longer default.
If you have scripts or software that breaks, point it out to it's devs and
maybe suggest switching to
[[./APIs|GPGME]].
----

In German, Heise reported this today: