strange error message, how to delete key

Gregor Zattler telegraph at gmx.net
Fri Aug 19 21:16:47 CEST 2016

Hi Ben,
* Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org> [20. Aug. 2016]:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 11:51:55PM +0200, Gregor Zattler wrote:
>> I get strange errormessages when listing keys, e.g.:
>>
>> $ gpg --list-key doesnotexist
>> gpg: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey
>> gpg: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey
>> gpg: key 0x00000000 occurs more than once in the trustdb
>> gpg: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey
>> gpg: key 0x00000000 occurs more than once in the trustdb
>> gpg: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey
>> gpg: key 0x00000000 occurs more than once in the trustdb
>> gpg: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey
>> gpg: key 0x00000000 occurs more than once in the trustdb
>> gpg: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey
>> gpg: key 0x00000000 occurs more than once in the trustdb
>> gpg: error reading key: public key not found
>>
>> This strange key 0x00000000 is not deletable:
>>
>> p$ gpg --delete-keys 0x00000000
>> gpg: key "0x00000000" not found: eof
>> gpg: 0x00000000: delete key failed: eof
>>

>> Any ideas, how to get rid of this?
>
> I had this problem a while back when a certain person (I've
> encountered 2 and I think there are about half a dozen) joined another
> mailing list I'm on for a time.  You need to isolate the keys by the
> 64-bit long key ID and delete those.  I recommend starting with a
> check for this key and deleting it:
>
>     0xB4156B9700000000
>
> The problem occurrs when multiple keys with a short key ID of all
> zeroes is created and entered.

Thanks for your answer but in my case this seems not to be the
cause:  I did a

gpg --list-public-keys |sed -e "s/ //g"|grep 000

and

gpg --fingerprint --list-public-keys |sed -e "s/ //g"|grep 000

and there are no keys with key ids or fingerprints ending in
more than two zeros.

Any other ideas?

Ciao, Gregor
--