Attacks on encrypted communicxatiopn rising in Europe

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 23 21:37:33 CEST 2016

In
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Justiz-soll-verschluesselte-Terror-Kommunikation-auswerten-koennen-3302594.html
(German), the German and French government are attacking the right to
encrypt communication of their serfs. Also because of their violent
anti-encryption opinion I was glad to see the Brittish influence in the
EU shrink but now we have this.

I don't know what they will come up with, but as GnuPG community we
should be prepared because development is in Germany (and we thought to
be safe from the US there...).

Also, Silence. the encrypted sms fork from Signal is developed partly in
France.

Both GnuPG and Silence have the advantage that they are open source and
don't require central servers. Signal has the advantage it's open source
and does not have a commercial presence here that can't be attacked. For
WhatsApp things look not as well.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers