Key Discovery Made Simple

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Aug 31 12:44:06 CEST 2016

On 31/08/16 01:47, gnupg at raf.org wrote:
> In the cronjob, "*/4" is invalid on
> systemd systems (or at least Debian8)

In Debian 8, the default cron daemon seems to come from the package 'cron'. I
don't think you get the 'systemd-cron' package by default: you need to
explicitly install it, and uninstall the 'Prio: important' package 'cron'.

Either way, I was unable to reproduce this. I installed systemd-cron, and it
accepted my "*/4" happily (and did indeed run the command every four minutes).
Though I no longer was able to edit my crontab as a regular user, I needed root
to do it with "crontab -u peter".

Do you have a Debian bug reference for this? I don't see it. The snippet Werner
quoted from the man page is also in the man page from 'systemd-cron', by the way.

I get the feeling systemd-cron is for supporting "legacy" stuff, and people who
go all-out systemd will use systemd facilities such as timers to implement stuff
"legacy people" ;-) do with crontabs.

Cheers,

Peter.