Proof for a creation date

Brian Minton brian at minton.name
Fri Dec 2 14:50:14 CET 2016

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:37:00PM +0800, Quan Zhou wrote:
> so GnuPG's timestamping isn't an option for this?
> Even X509 has a timestamping feature for this kind of use.

No, because you could just set your computer's clock to anything you want,
then create the GnuPG /X509 timestamp.

I agree with some of the other posters; the best way is to either post the
whole message, or a cryptographically strong hash of it to some public
append-only location, and the Bitcoin blockchain or a certificate transparency
log both do it the same way, via a cryptographic hash inserted into a Merkle
tree.  That has the desired properties of being append-only and publicly
auditable.

--
Brian Minton
brian at minton dot name http://brian.minton.name