Toggle the authenticate capability

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Mon Dec 5 00:09:38 CET 2016

Hi Roy,

You normally don't need to remove the A capability from a signing key. By default, gnupg will use the most recently created valid subkey with the appropriate capability, so all you need to do is create a new A subkey and it will be used in preference to the old one. Mathematically, authentication is just a special case of signing, so having both S and A on a subkey does not introduce extra vulnerabilities (that we know of).

It is technically possible to change the capability flags on any key, but you can't do it with a vanilla version of the software. There is a patch somewhere in the archives of this list but I would recommend against it. The only use case where it would be necessary to remove a capability flag would be if you had created an encryption key that also had S or A capability - but it's almost impossible to do it by accident and in such cases it's safer to revoke the key and start again.

Andrew Gallagher