Implications of a common private keys directory in 2.1

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Dec 6 20:29:42 CET 2016

On 06/12/16 15:53, Stephan Beck wrote:
> [...], and use it as in
> gpg2 --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring file --try-secret-key
> [NAME=aspecificlongKeyID | fingerprint] --decrypt
> any_signedANDencrypted_message.txt.gpg ?
> Would that work?

>From the GnuPG 2.1 man page:

       --secret-keyring file
              This is an obsolete option and  ignored.   All  secret  keys  are
              stored  in the ‘private-keys-v1.d’ directory below the GnuPG home
              directory.

GnuPG 2.1 works in a different way with secret key material, so you can't have multiple secret keyrings in the same homedir anymore.

HTH,

Peter.