Proof for a creation date

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Wed Dec 7 00:27:08 CET 2016

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done in principle - anyone who wants could set up an "authority" that produces a regular, signed list of all the certificates it currently trusts at each point in time. The trick is a) making sure that revocations get submitted to the authority in a timely fashion and b) working out whether to trust the authority in the first place. But that's a problem in OCSP too.

In general, anything you can do in the X509 trust model you can do in PGP - but with a little more effort and a lot fewer default assumptions.

Andrew Gallagher