Smartcards and tokens

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Thu Dec 15 02:35:04 CET 2016

sivmu <sivmu at web.de> wrote:
> One question remaining is what is the difference between the openpgp
> smartcard and the USB based tokens.

I think that the OpenPGP card (the physical smartcard) is included in
Nitrokey Pro USB Token.  So, it's exactly same from the view point of
smartcard.

When you want to use a smartcard, you need a card reader to access the
card.  And the card reader you use would bring another attack vectors.
In this point, Nitrokey Pro USB Token is the best approach, I suppose.

IIUC, Yubikey products are JavaCard implementations and somehow emulate
OpenPGP card protocol by "app", and they work as CCID card reader +
OpenPGP card.

In Nitrokey Start USB Token, there is no OpenPGP card physically, but it
is implemented by Gnuk, the software.

> Also how much would you trust those vendors and can the use of such
> tokens actually decrease security?

This is the point.

The hardware OpenPGP card in Nitrokey Pro USB Token could be replaced by
man in the middle (or its vendor).  The hardware MCU chip in Nitrokey
Start USB Token could be replaced, too.  The software (Gnuk) in Nitrokey
Start USB Token could be replaced (with JTAG/SWD debugger), too.  Or, we
should consider possibility of backdoor of OpenPGP card.  Well, I don't
know about Yubikey.

When it is replaced to be malicious one to enable an access by others
(to your private keys), or it already has a backdoor in the first place,
it kills the purpose of USB security token.

Here, the question is: how can we build up such a "trust"?

It seems for me that there are two different approaches; (1) physical
difficulty (for example, plastic molding for "protection"), (2)
reproducibility and transparency/openness.  Note that some method of
former makes latter difficult.

For myself, I take (2), and I did my best to make my product as
reproducible.  (Since I don't manufacture semiconductor things,
reproducibility is not 100%, and this part of manufacturing and
technology is not open at all.)  And I intentionally deliver my product
in a style of "transparent" or "open".

Distribution channel is also difficult.  I do in person, and I ask FSF
for my TRNG.  Are there any good method?

Obvious drawback of the apporoach (2) is that people with enough
concern/attention have tendency to do it under their control.
Reasonable.  Since it's reproducible (somehow), it's possible, by
definition.  And then, I can't sell many.