[Announce] Libgcrypt 1.7.5: secmem trouble

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Dec 16 07:12:46 CET 2016

Luis Ressel <aranea at aixah.de> wrote:
> since I've upgraded to libgcrypt 1.7.5, gpg emits the warning 'Warning:
> using insecure memory!' (and hence refuses to run, since my config file
> includes 'require-secmem').
>
> Any hints for debugging this issue would the greatly appreciated.

I think that you need to debug libgcrypt to locate the bug.  If you are
familiar with GDB, run gpg under GDB with a break point at main, and
then a break point at lock_pool_pages.

Well, please show us the information in which architecuture/OS you runs
GnuPG.  Are you using GnuPG 2.1.x or another version?

I'm afraid you are using libgcrypt 1.7.4.  In version 1.7.4, there was
a bug in configure script, which might cause such a trouble.