Unable to import Private Key

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Sat Dec 31 20:22:43 CET 2016

On 12/31/2016 11:22 AM, Guy Wyers wrote:
> The command used to build this export was the following (executed with the
> -vv option to get all the info):
>
>   $ gpg2 -vv -ao secret-key.asc --export-secret-keys <my email address>
>
> gpg: writing to 'secret-key.asc'
> gpg: key 69F91A22: asking agent for the secret parts
> gpg: key 69F91A22: error receiving key from agent: End of file - skipped
> gpg: key 69F91A22/9D2311A4: asking agent for the secret parts

So gpg asks the agent for your secret primary key (69F91A22) but the
agent cannot provide it. Then it asks for the secret subkey and gets it.

Next questions:

* What exact version of GnuPG are you using? It looks like you are using
a version from the 2.1 branch, not 2.0. Please give the output of `gpg2
--version`.

* Can you *use* your secret primary key? Try performing any action
requiring the secret primary key (such as signing a message, assuming
you do not have a signing subkey).

* If you can reproduce the issue at will, can you try exporting the
private keys again, but with logging of debug informations?

Add the following lines to your ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf file (create
that file if it does not already exist):

   log-file /wherever/you/want.log
   debug 1024

Reload the agent (gpgconf --reload gpg-agent) and try exporting again.

> Any ideas?

It's starting to look like a communication problem between gpg and the
agent. What problem exactly, I have no clue.