FAQ maintenance

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Fri Feb 5 11:55:39 CET 2016

On 05/02/16 00:25, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> A list of do's and don'ts

Don't use --expert

> - weird and impracticable keys

... Don't use --expert ;P

> common sense usage - common sense

Stick to the defaults

> things to put in your gpg.conf :)

keyserver ...

And that's it.

Really. Having a look at my own gpg.conf, there are two more things:

default-key ...
use-agent

And those should not be needed for normal users, who only have a single key (I
have a bunch of test keys to play with), and only use GnuPG 2.1 (I use 1.x to
help people here on the list who use it).

Like I said in the mail I just sent: in my opinion, in a very broad sense, the
FAQ should be aimed at people sticking to the defaults, not the people who
tinker. GnuPG is already more than complicated enough without drowning people in
unnecessary detail. The defaults are reasonable; you should stick to them until
you have very good reason not to. Otherwise it is very easy to shoot yourself in
the foot. Or get lost and give up.

So I don't think those things you mention should be in the FAQ. In fact, "things
to put in gpg.conf" would seem directly opposed to:

> 8.1 Does GnuPG need to be ‘tuned’ before use?
>
> No. GnuPG has sensible defaults right out of the box. You don’t need to
> tune GnuPG before you can use it.
(from the FAQ)

Peter.