Documentation format

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 13 21:47:27 CET 2016

On 07-02-2016 5:59, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> LaTeX is unique among document processing systems in that it can
> effortlessly represent the correct orthography for the rock group Spinal
> Tap (which uses a Turkish dotless lowercase i and a Jacaltec umlauted
> n), but that comes with a steep price: namely, its near complete
> inability to handle Unicode like the rest of the world.

Considering the PITA that unicode gives in text editors (and not only
there, I remember when the company I worked then switched to an
unicode-enabled version of Delphi and we had to rebuild over 100 reports
that didn't work anymore...) I'd say that is an big advantage. Both html
and TeX can handle special characters and accents well with commands.
Starting with one of those, the correct output can always be expressed
in ascii, especially for the GnuPG documentation that does not do
anything extremely difficult.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers