Some questions about working with different versions of GnuPG and the fsfe's card on subkeys doc [UPDATED]]

stebe at mailbox.org stebe at mailbox.org
Tue Feb 16 00:50:29 CET 2016

stebe at mailbox.org:

[...]
> I have problems getting GnuPG v.2.0.19 to work with the Nitrokey Pro USB
> Smart Card (reader is integrated into device). After importing the
> pubkey and connecting the Smart Card I performed these steps:
>
> #Gnome Keyring already being disabled, being installed the following
> packages: opensc, pcscd, libccid, Nitrokey udev rules installed, having
> performed a udevd stop and restart, and added required strings to
> /etc/libccid_Info.plist :

[...]
> I checked the Nitrokey support docs, their FAQ, in addition to (1) and
> (2) the gpg manpages and the gnupg info manual. Is there anyone that
> has/had similar problems? What else can I check for troubleshooting?
> In fact, the device is being recognized using gpg but I'd like to use it
> with gpg2.

[...]

It has turned out that my off-line FAQ copy did not include a section
that must have been added recently, detailing the package versions of
the required components. This may be one/the reason for gpg2 not being
able to connect to the Nitrokey. I detail it below so that other users
might benefit from it.

GnuPG 2.0.18 or newer. We recommend the 2.0 main version. 2.1 is still a
bit unstable.

OpenSC 0.15 is not sufficient and you would need its nightly builds or
compile it from their git repository.

libccid 1.4.22

being the last two requirements those that are not met by my system's
configuration.

Cheers,

Stebe

copies of the original message.