Use of --passphrase-file

Harman, Michael Michael.Harman at uhsinc.com
Wed Feb 17 17:34:05 CET 2016

I am attempting to automate a process that decrypts files. The files are encrypted with my key which has a passphrase. I have determined I can use the "--passphrase-file" option to get the passphrase of my key. In the gpg documentation at https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/GPG-Esoteric-Options.html, under "--passphrase-file file" it says "Don't use this option if you can avoid it", but I can't find any alternative solution in the documentation. I found one blog that says to just remove the passphrase, however I'd like to preserve the passphrase. Do you have any recommendations where I can have a passphrase but still use it in an unattended fashion that is secure?

Michael W. Harman, MIT | Senior Application Architect, Information Services | UHS of Delaware, Inc. | a subsidiary of Universal Health Services | Phone 610.768.3416

UHS of Delaware, Inc. Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this information is prohibited, and may be punishable by law. If this was sent to you in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.