Using gpg-agent for git credentials?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Feb 20 12:47:47 CET 2016

On 20/02/16 07:15, taltman wrote:
> Seems like credential management would be better done using gpg-agent.

You can use the agent for inquiry and /caching/ of your passphrases, but
not for /storage/. The difference is in the lifetime: once gpg-agent
exits, any cached passphrases are forgotten. It can't be used as a
general passphrase store, unfortunately.

As for something completely different, you could use an encrypted
partition to store the credentials... It's just a thought.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-credential.html