Key selection order

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Jan 14 17:27:40 CET 2016

> If so, suppose an attacker inserted a fake key with my details into an
> HKP keyserver.  What should I do?

First, recognize that this has likely already happened, and the world
hasn't ended.  :)  Look at how many certificates there are for
president at whitehouse.gov, for instance.

> Is there an obvious way to deal with this that I'm missing

Fingerprint verification.  An attacker can create a fraudulent
certificate, but an attacker cannot (to the best of our knowledge)
create a certificate that has an identical fingerprint to the real one.

And if you're concerned about this, then retrieve certificates based on
fingerprints, not on email addresses.