Key selection order

Lachlan Gunn lachlan at twopif.net
Thu Jan 14 19:48:29 CET 2016

Sure, but you have to bootstrap somehow.  TOFU doesn't come into play until
after you've received a response anyway, so unless you can find the key
through some out-of-band source, then for the initial contact you have to
choose between either making an educated guess as to what the key is, or
sending in the clear.  Even if the key ends up being wrong then at least
there's only one potential attacker, and the game is up the moment you get
an unmodified email from the real guy via mailing lists, forwarding, etc.

I'm not saying that we should all just blindly accept whatever the
keyservers say, I just wanted to know whether there was anything useful
that one could do with the current infrastructure when they _knew_ that
they were already under attack.

Thanks,
Lachlan