Yubikey, GnuPG 2.1 Modern, and SSH on OS X

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Jan 16 00:08:51 CET 2016

On 15/01/16 21:17, Glenn Rempe wrote:
> I added it at the suggestion of Werner in this post:
>
> https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2012-July/045059.html
>
> And these blog posts:
> http://incenp.org/notes/2015/gnupg-for-ssh-authentication.html
> http://budts.be/weblog/2012/08/ssh-authentication-with-your-pgp-key
>
> Is this suggestion outdated?

No, but I'm fairly sure Werner did not realise you were using a smartcard when
he wrote that. Obviously, I can't look into the man's mind, but that's my guess.

For regular, on-disk keys, it is necessary to add the keygrip to sshcontrol. For
smartcards, it's automatically added when the smartcard is inserted. I guess it
fits with automatically added secret key stubs when the smartcard is inserted
(to use a smartcard on a fresh PC, import your own public key, insert your
smartcard, and you're done).

HTH,

Peter.