Master Key Best Practice with SmartCard

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Mon Jan 25 16:15:19 CET 2016

On 25 Jan 2016, at 14:50, Antoine Michard <antoine.michard at chezgeek.fr> wrote:

> Thx Again Andrew. You are an incredible source of GPG knowledge

I'm really not. Just trying to be helpful. Don't trust me any more than any other random person on the Internet. I'm quite likely to make a mistake or leave out something important.

> Last question: Clean option will only clean locally or on key server too ??

Just locally. You can't delete stuff from the keyservers, as they're a distributed database with no central control, and they have no method of confirming you are the key's owner. Even if you could get one server to delete your key, it would be resynchronised almost immediately from another server.

In general, you should assume that anything that goes on the Internet is there forever, as you have no way of knowing who has made a copy for their own use, let alone do much about it. ;-)