Upgrade GPG from 2.0.9 to 2.0.30

Thomas Glanzmann thomas at glanzmann.de
Mon Jul 25 12:51:17 CEST 2016

Hello Luke,

> Please kindly looking on this, how to make upgrade session successfully?

you configured gnupg with the default installation which is /usr/local.  You're
previous gpg was probably installed in /usr. In order to use the new gpg
version, you either needs to change your path or use the full qualified path. I
would not recommend to install gpg over your old path because it might break
your system in ways you do not expect it to break. For example the package
manager.

Example using bash system shell:

# As you can see I have two gpg2 versions installed. One from my
# distribution, another manually similar to what you did.
(infra) [~] type -a gpg2
gpg2 is /local/gnupg/bin/gpg2
gpg2 is /usr/bin/gpg2

# I modified my path so that my own compiled gpg2 version is before the
# system path:
(infra) [~] echo $PATH
/local/gnupg/bin:/usr/lib/ccache:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/games

# I can use the full qualified path for either of the versions
(infra) [~] /local/gnupg/bin/gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.14
libgcrypt 1.7.2
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Home: /home/sithglan/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA, EDDSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
(infra) [~] /usr/bin/gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.26
libgcrypt 1.6.3

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA, RSA, ELG, DSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

Cheers,
        Thomas