WINDOWS - Adding passphrase to gpg via command line

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jun 10 09:51:07 CEST 2016

Hi!

On Thu,  9 Jun 2016 15:29, m.kaufmann at infotech.li said:

> Im am using GnuPG v2.1.11.59877 on Windows 10. The utility
> gpg-preset-passphrase.exe is not available on my system. Is there a
> location I can download this tool and install on my machine? I would
> like to use the tool, to set the password on gpg-agent.

I think that gpg-preset-passpharse is not the right tool and you either
should not set a passphrase for the key or use the gpg option
--pinentry-mode=loopback.  However, I can distribute
gpg-preset-passpharse with the next Windows installer (2.1.13) -
hopefully next week.

There is a workaround, though:

  gpg-connect-agent 'PRESET_PASSPHRASE <keygrip> -1 <passphrase>' /bye

The <keygrip> is what you would also use with gpg-preset-passphrase.
The <passphrase> is, well, you passphrase which needs to be
percent-escaped (e.g. "foo far" -> "foo%20bar").  If you do not want to
type the passphrase, gpg-connect-agent has a simple script language
which can help here.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

    /* EFH in Erkrath: https://alt-hochdahl.de/haus */