Tamper Resistance of SmartCards -- NitroKey Pro/ KernelConcepts

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jun 24 14:25:35 CEST 2016

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 11:21, afenkart at gmail.com said:

> confuses me is the claim made by NitroKey that it is "tamper
> resistant". I guess kernelconcepts card being a BasicCard[1] should be
> "tamper resistant" as well.

NitroKey uses the very same card inside.  IIRC, their basic version does
not use a smartcard but Gniibe's gnuk software on their microcontroller.

Another option is to purchase an USB stick sized reader and an ID-000
sized ZeitControl card.  That is what I use for my release signing key.

The ZeitControl card uses a standard tamper resistant smartcard chip and
an OS which has been developed and evaluated for the German Health Card.
On top of this the OpenPGP smartcard spec has been implemented.

If you can do without hardware tamper resistance, consider to use a gnuk
token.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

    /* EFH in Erkrath: https://alt-hochdahl.de/haus */