Question about getting started with PGP and smart cards

Joshua Terrill joshterrill.dev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:14:15 CET 2016

Thanks for the replies, everyone. So what about a solution like Yubikey
NEO? I read on their site that you can generate a keypair and put it on the
yubikey. But what I'm a little confused about is, once you have the public
and private key on the card, how do you use it to encrypt/sign/decrypt
things? Excuse my lack of knowledge on this. It all seems pretty cool, and
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Andrew Gallagher <andrewg at andrewg.com>
wrote:

> On 29/02/16 15:31, Martin Ilchev wrote:
> >
> > For Windows I installed gpg4win and migrated my linux gpg.conf and keys
> > over and it just worked. Also in windows if you want to use putty with a
> > smart card you will need a patched putty agent. You can get one from
> > here http://smartcard-auth.de/ssh-en.html. It is free to use with
> > OpenPGP Smartcards from kernel concepts so a win-win :).
>
> Unfortunately the developer of that pageant replacement distributes
> unsigned binary blobs over plain HTTP. The Windows build of GnuPG 2.1 on
> the other hand (linked from the official gnupg site) has a gpg-agent
> that can run as a pageant replacement for putty (same idea as ssh-agent
> replacement). You don't get all the graphical tools that come with
> GPG4Win, but it's a safer (and more future-proof) solution IMO.

Josh Terrill // developer
209-676-7334