Remove photos from OpenPGP key in the keyservers

Brian Minton bjmgeek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:36:20 CET 2016

On 03/08/2016 11:08 AM, Anthony Papillion wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that, if you just send your modified key to the
> keyserver again, it will replace the one that's there.

I tried it, deleting some subkeys locally, and adding others.  I
submitted it to the keyservers, but now all the keys, old and new, are
on the servers.  GnuPG (and probably other products) will use the newest
subkey for a given purpose (encryption, signing, etc.) if it is usable.
 For instance, I have a key with some ECC keys and some DSA and El Gamal
keys.  GnuPG version 1 will automatically use the newest El Gamal key
for encrypting to my public key.  GnuPG version 2 uses the newest ECC
keys for encrypting to my key (because I created them later).  After
receiving the key from the keyservers (which I did in an isolated
environment), now both gpg 1 and gpg2 use the most recent usable key for
encryption, which is the El Gamal one.

I say all that to say, the keyservers won't replace your existing key,
they only merge.