using master key from usb

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Sat Mar 19 19:26:35 CET 2016

On 03/19/2016 01:24 PM, Me Self wrote:
> I can use the master key with:
> gpg --homedir /media/myusb/gnupg ...
>
> Now I want to --sign-keys a key that is imported in the keyring on the
> harddrive.

You can use the --keyring option to add your normal public keyring
(containing the key you want to sign):

   $ gpg --homedir /media/myusb/gnupg --keyring ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg ...

> Is there an easier way to use the master key?

If you’re using GnuPG 2.1, an easy and (IMHO) elegant way is to create a
symlink pointing to your master key on the USB stick:

   $ ln -s /media/myusb/gnupg/private-keys-v1.d/XXXXXXX.key
~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d/XXXXXX.key

(where XXXXXX is the *keygrip* of your master key, which you can learn
with the --with-keygrip option when listing keys).

You can then call gpg as usual, without needing to change its home
directory. When you are done, just remove the symlink and unmount your
USB stick.