EasyGnuPG

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 21 15:05:05 CET 2016

Hi Dashamir,

On Friday 18 March 2016 at 09:49:16, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> I am writting some shell scripts for making GnuPG more accessible and
> easier to use:
>  - https://github.com/dashohoxha/egpg

I like the goal of making gpg2 more accessible.
However I am not sure that you are actually reaching the goal
by using sh wrappers. When looking at the man pages, it seems
that they are already long with a number of phrases to learn.
Most of these commands are not much easier than the direct gpg2
commands they are aiming to replace.

Drawbacks I see with your approach:
* people will have to learn a slightly different set of commands
  with egpg and gpg2 and sooner or later will use the gpg2 commands
  and then they will be confused or have extra learning efforts.
* shell scripts will not work on plattforms without a shell
  (e.g. Windows)
* I haven't looked into the .epgp directory, but it may have some configs
  and then the behaviour of other applications will depend on whoch config
  they use.
* BTW: There is a potential name clash with https://wiki.gnupg.org/EasyGpg2016

Ideas for improvements:
* I you must, write wrappers code it in something more plattform indepentent,
  e.g. in python3 (using pyme or pygpgme where appropriate)
* Suggest and improve the original gpg2 command line interface, so that
  usage is easier and the more esotheric options will not be seen or used
  by default.
* Write a beginners man page for the original gpg2, which covers only the main
  use cases.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner