(OT) mathematicians-discover-prime-conspiracy

Antony Prince antony at blazrsoft.com
Fri Mar 25 05:45:06 CET 2016

On March 25, 2016 12:34:51 AM EDT, Antony Prince <antony at blazrsoft.com> wrote:
>On March 24, 2016 11:17:58 PM EDT, "Marcio Barbado, Jr."
><marcio.barbado at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Not sure if it's counterintuitive once tossing can be seen as
>>abandoning inertia.
>>

>>Marcio Barbado, Jr.
>>

>>On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Peter Lebbing
>><peter at digitalbrains.com> wrote:
>>> On 14/03/16 10:37, Fulano Diego Perez wrote:
>>>>
>>https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160313-mathematicians-discover-prime-conspiracy/
>>>
>>> So forgive me for the off-topicness, but something in the text
>caught
>>my
>>> attention:

>>while
>>>
>>> I did try this at home; only I wrote a Python script to do all the
>>> tedious tossing and accounting. This is its output:

>>----------
>>>

>>> After over a million coin tosses, it takes 6 tosses on average until
>>you
>>> see two heads in a row, but only 4 to see head-tail. Obviously, the
>>> script is attached. Supply the patterns on invocation, as shown
>>above.
>>> Any number of patterns of any length are supported (I think). Well,
>>> strictly positive numbers and lengths :).
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the direction of the solution to this
>>> counterintuitive probability theory result? Any of a common name for
>>the
>>> property, a mathematical explanation or an intuitive explanation are
>>> much appreciated!
>>>
>>> Anyway, to make up for the off-topicness, let's get slightly
>>on-topic...
>>>
>>> To the OP: Please provide at least a short abstract of the text when
>>you
>>> post a link. That way people can tell from your mail what the text
>>will
>>> be about.
>>>
>>> With regards to the article, I'm surprised by the choice of words in
>>its
>>> title. Other than to draw in more readers, I don't see what place
>the
>>> word "conspiracy" has in it. That's like saying 0 and 1 are
>>conspiring
>>> to be consecutive on the integral number line. Oh no, pretty much
>all
>>> are computers are based on 0's and 1's and now they are conspiring!
>>> Probably against us! Quick, we need neutral numbers without an
>>agenda...
>>> In my opinion, this title really devalues the article. "Three secret
>>> ways to cope with prime conspiracy mathematicians don't want you to
>>know
>>> about" isn't that much further out. Oh, I hope that phrasing doesn't
>>> tickle any spam filters... Ah well.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Peter.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I use the GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG) in combination with Enigmail.
>>> You can send me encrypted mail if you want some privacy.
> [...]

But to reply directly to the post at hand, inertia would definitely be a factor in a physical coin tossing. Even though the coin only has 2 sides, the amount of initial force used to flip it and all the other external factors affecting it before it landed would play a part, so though the beginning ratio might be 50/50, there are external factors that skew the ratio one way or the other in a true physical coin toss, so on that point, I applaud you for that observation.