OT egpg evaluation

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Sun May 8 22:39:48 CEST 2016

On 8 May 2016, at 13:54, Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 2:09 PM, flapflap <flapflap at riseup.net> wrote:
>> I really don't think that bash is the right language here...
>
> But if you want to automate some tasks on the command line, bash seems to be the perfect choice.

By hand, yes. If you are constructing the algorithm yourself and have a reasonable expectation of the file names etc and are confident you won't hit any edge cases. If you're knocking something together for a particular purpose and don't mind picking up the pieces when it doesn't work exactly as you expected.

But when you expect other people to use your code on machines you've never heard of and in contexts that you never anticipated, it's a whole order of magnitude more complicated. In particular, if your language of choice doesn't support an execve() equivalent (e.g. perl's open(,,,)), you're pretty much screwed before you start.

Andrew Gallagher