Encoding of user ID strings

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue May 24 22:17:45 CEST 2016

On Tuesday 24 May 2016 08:26:54 Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2016 20:19, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:
> > At first blush it appears the answer is "no, but most people use
> > UTF-8.">
> >  If so that's fine, but I'll have to silently discard a number of
> >  user
>
> OpenPGP requires that the user id is UTF-8 encoded.  Older PGP
> versions did not care about encoding and used whatever the system
> provided.  Thus there are lot's of (e.g.) Müller with wrong
> encodings.  This is what GPA uses to fix the problem for most of the
> western world's PGP users:

[snip]

And if you are interested in how KMail decoded user IDs (before we
completely switched to gpgme) have a look at lines 682-755 of

https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdepim.git&a=blob&h=59d0d50433455e45680d65deaffbccd3028f2169&hb=855053a0d5a07301e1627757abf8f8d56d9759eb&f=libkpgp%2FkpgpbaseG.cpp

Interesting. The code appears to be GPL2+ licensed. I would have thought
that it was LGPL2+.

Regards,
Ingo