How to convert (ancient) key in "version 2" to more modern "version 4" format?

Antony Prince antony at blazrsoft.com
Sun May 29 08:06:58 CEST 2016

On 5/28/2016 6:04 PM, Bjoern Kahl wrote:

>  Because I have *tons* of mails (and other archived data files) that
>  have been signed and / or encrypted with such keys and I (I have to
>  use such a strong word here) *insist* on being able to continue to
>  read these mails and files whenever the need arises.
>

>> They are obsolete in every aspect.
>
>  They may not be a wise choice for creating new data (mails, files) for
>  their limited key length and other shortcomings mentioned in 4880 and
>  elsewhere.  But they are perfectly fine and necessary to access
>  historic data.

The best solution I could think of would be to use a version of PGP that
is capable of decrypting the mails and using a newer key with a modern
version of gpg to re-encrypt them to your new key for storage. A script
could be written for the purpose. This still doesn't solve the problem
of the signatures, but at the least you would be able to keep the
archived files encrypted with the newer standards and eliminate the need
for supporting obsolete keys any further than this point for decryption.
Not the most elegant solution or even one you may want, but it is *a*
solution, provided that you can find software to use the V2 keys of course.

--
Antony