Defense strategy against basic DoS on key servers

Piotr Chmielnicki piotr at chmielnicki.com
Mon Nov 7 20:59:33 CET 2016

Hello,

The pool of key servers looks like a central element of the OpenPGP global WoT and key synchronization across people.

I wonder what is the defense strategy of this pool against 2 very basic DoS attacks.

The first attack would be to just upload several To of keys to fulfill the available storage of these servers.

The second attack scenario would target a specific key by attaching to it a huge number of signatures that would make it very hard for anyone to download or refresh the targeted key.

Thank for helping me to understand how those scenarios are managed.

Piotr Chmielnicki
@piotrcki