Specifying different pinentry based on caller?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Nov 9 12:14:30 CET 2016

On 08/11/16 20:24, Tim Chase wrote:
> When using a GUI program like Claws Mail, I'd
> like to use the graphical pinentry, but I'd prefer to default to the
> terminal pinentry for everything else.

One step in the right direction is unsetting the DISPLAY environment
variable when gpg is invoked. Ensuring that gpg never gets to see a
usable DISPLAY var might be all that is needed (or it might not,
depending on Desktop Environment, I don't know :-).

It works for me on a terminal just invoking:

$ DISPLAY= gpg2 -s test.txt

(Actually, that's not unsetting it, just setting it to an empty value.
But it works.)

HTH,

Peter.