PCI DSS compliance

F Rafi farhanible at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:54:28 CET 2016

Probably out-of-scope for this list but, if the process is automated you'd
want to reduce the number of people with access to the keys to only staff
with need-to-know. Usually that translates to IT support / administrators.
Beyond that safeguards against people (specifically administrators) cannot
be technical controls. They have to be policies, procedures, and
monitoring/audit. You should demonstrate that:

   - You are doing background checks against employees with access to the
   keys
   - Those background checks look at issues like debt
   - You have security policies and procedures that dictate use of
   well-known security best practices
   - You have a security awareness program that ensures that employees are
   reminded of best practices
   - You keep a log of whoever is logging into the system to access the key

You just have to trust your employees at some point. None of this mitigates
a rogue insider with access to the keys.

-Farhan