PCI DSS compliance

Glenn Rempe glenn at rempe.us
Thu Nov 10 21:06:56 CET 2016

I think this is where you want to look into a Hardware Security Module
(HSM) or a solution like Hashicorp's Vault server. The split secret would
be used to initialize either of those solutions (Vault uses split keys to
unseal the server out of the box, and can even encrypt those shares to
several different GPG keys when the root key is created, this way the
shares are never exposed in plaintext form to anyone, not even the original
admin that creates the key)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_security_module
https://www.yubico.com/products/yubihsm/
https://www.vaultproject.io

I don't know if any HSM's support hardware based protected GnuPG encryption
or not.

If you want to experiment with a Shamir Secret Sharing key split you can
look at an implementation in Ruby that I have created which also has a
simple command line interface for splitting and recombining secrets.

https://github.com/grempe/tss-rb

In any case I think you would have those trusted admins, with shares of a
private key passphrase, unlock the key in memory at boot time of your
application and this server would be the only one that is capable of
automated decryption using that unlocked private key. They would need to
repeat this process at each reboot or if the process that contains the key
crashes.

I am not aware of GnuPG ever supporting Shamir Secret Sharing style
encryption key splitting. They may exist, I just don't know.

Cheers,

Glenn