What are those attachments you have on your email?

David Adamson davidadamson.md at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 17:01:11 CET 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Stephan Beck <stebe at mailbox.org> wrote:
> Sorry, David, for arriving a bit late to the party..., I had to answer
> Peter who had addressed several list mails in reply to mine yesterday
> and it took me a while.
> Yes, as Brian says, the verify command expects an .asc signature file
> and a message or a file signed with it as input. By
> using/fetching/retrieving the signer's key gpg verifies that this
> message/file really was signed by the one who claims to be the signer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Stephan

Stephan so this is a result of you using a mail client that requires
the signature file and If I used a similar mail client it could
automatically verify this email message was signed by the holder of
Stephan's private key?

However is it the case as Juan put it that since I'm using another
type of mail service, in my case gmail web based interface, that this
signature will not be applicable?

Juan said:
"Otherwise, it
looks like a normal message (or empty if PGP/MIME encrypted) with a
signature.asc file (sometimes called differently) as an attachment."

Brian,
Thanks for the resource. I'll have to get used to
reading/understanding this type of material/subject matter.