Trying to figure out what's going on with a key update failure...

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Sat Nov 26 00:40:17 CET 2016

On 11/25/2016 4:02 AM, Stephan Beck wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Stephan Beck:
>>

>> Anthony Papillion:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> When I run
>>>
>>> gpg2 --keyserver <my-keyserver> --refresh-keys
>

>>> Can someone tell me what this error means and how can I fix it?
>>
>> Which gpg2 version are you running? 2.0x or 2.1x?
>
> sorry for the delay in getting back to you on-list.
> [Could you please send me the error output you get when decrypting the
> encrypted message I sent you yesterday, telling you that I had problems
> in checking keyserver's connection as well, it's just that I'm eager to
> know and I want to exclude key compromise].

No problem. When I try to decrypt your message, I get the follow from GPG:

gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Anthony Papillion <anthony at cajuntechie.org>"
4096-bit RSA key, ID 0x002919C90AF4A3BC, created 2016-10-12
         (subkey on main key ID 0xCC9D1E072AC97369)

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

> In order to get the details of the communication of keyserver helper
> programs with the keyserver you should use the --use-temp-files and
> --keep-temp-files --keyserver options.
>
> For example, I tried (a hundred times, with variations) to refresh your
> key attempting to log keyserver<->helpers communication to check it
> myself before giving advice

After some testing, I found out that the keys were, in some/most cases
actually getting refreshed. I'm going to try with the new options and
see what information I can coax out of GPG.

Anthony

VoIP/SIP:     1259010 at localphone.com
Skype:        cajuntechie
XMPP/Jabber:  papillion at dukgo.com