Thunderbird / Enigmail / GnuPG2 -- cooperation stopped after GPG upgrade?

Petros at Freelab freelab at riseup.net
Tue Nov 29 19:26:15 CET 2016

I just had a routine upgrade of ThunderBird and my Enigmail. Now, I
cannot do anything related to Enigmail. The interface starts, but then
nothing happens beyond the first screen. No request for passphrase if I
try to send a message. No downlload of a draft. Configuration wizard
shows first form, but doesn't advance any further. Keys management shows

I discussed the issue at Enigmail forum
(https://sourceforge.net/p/enigmail/forum/support/thread/80fde7d4/#e1b7)
and the final answer was:

> I am seeing the following in the log file.
>
> gpg: starting migration from earlier GnuPG versions
> gpg: can't connect to the agent: IPC connect call failed
> gpg: error: GnuPG agent unusable. Please check that a GnuPG agent can
> be started.
> gpg: migration aborted
> gpg: can't connect to the agent: IPC connect call failed
>
> This is a GnuPG setup issue. It looks like gpg (not Thunderbird or
> Enigmail) got upgraded and doesn't work correctly anymore. I'm sorry,
> but these sort of things are better supported by the GnuPG folks, not
> Enigmail.

So, I am coming here...

See previously generated logs & info:
TB troubleshooting info http://pastebin.com/ujsLwdMi