Terminology - certificate or key ?

Richard Höchenberger richard.hoechenberger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 18:34:41 CEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> Here are two padlocks:
>   <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorh%C3%A4ngeschloss#/media/File:3_Vorhangschloesser.jpg>
> We would call the left one a "normales Vorhangeschloss" (simple
> padlock).  But the middle one is known as a "Schappschloss" - referring
> to the feature that you do not need a key to lock it.

Growing up in (East) Germany myself, I've never, ever, heard or read
this word before. I always assumed all padlocks would lock without a
key, hence be "Schnappschlösser". Never seen or handled anything else.
:) But maybe I'm simply too young, the padlock-without-Schnappschloss
type appears to be kind of ancient?



More information about the Gnupg-users mailing list